Silver Bull Report Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Silver Bull Report Forum

Discussion of mining stocks, precious metals and otherwise. Markets in general

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jeanvaljean

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2007-10-23

Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Empty
PostSubject: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

I will be helping my mother arrange an income weighted portfolio. I remember years back that many South African mining companies paid high dividends in the neighborhood of 10%. I have looked at the Canadian royalty trusts, and most of them are oil and gas ventures. I wish I could find an instrument that was based upon metals mining(Gold and silver would be ideal.). I have not had much luck. Another requirement is that the investment would not be based upon the USD. I know that most here are looking to invest in junior cos., but if anyone could find a producing company with a dividend more than 5%, I would appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
mshen11

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2007-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 9:28 pm

i dont think youll find any in the 5%+ range... gfi, aauk, au (the big players) all pay high dividends at less than 2%. heck i would like to know also.

non-mining... try oil tankers
Back to top Go down
jeanvaljean

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks. I looked, and some of the best were Canadian oil & gas royalty funds. I am not sure which would be the safest energy fund for the yield. I'll look into the oil tankers, as well as the pipeline trusts. Too bad you can't get high paying dividend mine funds like in the past.
Back to top Go down
mshen11

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 am

be aware oil tankers vlccfs are not a good play anymore... starting in 2 or 3 years, there will be alot of ships coming off production - thereby lowering profits. they have high dividends because by law they have to distribute ALL their profits.
Back to top Go down
mshen11

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 am

be aware oil tankers vlccfs are not a good play anymore... starting in 2 or 3 years, there will be alot of ships coming off production - thereby lowering profits. they have high dividends because by law they have to distribute ALL their profits.
Back to top Go down
jeanvaljean

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 1:51 pm

What's your opinion on the Oil and Gas Royalty Trusts? I worry that the reserves will play out early and then being left with a bunch of worthless paper. One thing about this currency collapse is finding income producing assets that won't melt with the inflation. I wish I had more ideas.
Back to top Go down
bull
Admin
bull

Male Number of posts : 1300
Emploi : Investor
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 1:53 pm

pre 1981 canadian nickels! Cool
Back to top Go down
https://silverbullreport.forumotion.com
mshen11

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 2:10 pm

i unfortunately avoid all those types of investments because im in the USA - (hint tax complications). i dabbled in US VLCCFs in my IRA because the government doesnt rob me of taxes... but i think the canadian govt does want their cut and its complicated to get it back

having said that... i would think the price is highly tied to oil prices - so a better question is where do you think oil will go from here?

be care - the yield might be misleading. one ex: there is a high correlation between the dividend and the price of the stock. many times you buy high yield because the stock has dropped and the yield is lagging (meaning in one or two quarters from now the dividend will drop)
Back to top Go down
jeanvaljean

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 2:42 pm

I think the oil price is going up in USD's. It may go down in Canadian dollars. I am aware of the tax considerations, but I feel that a sinking dollar is worse than any tax problem. I had thought coal trusts would be another consideration. Regardless of all that for some reason the world is not producing more oil.

Yeah, yeah, get more nickels. :p
Back to top Go down
danamas

danamas

Male Number of posts : 60
Emploi : Airline Pilot
Loisirs : Investing
Registration date : 2007-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 pm

I think that mining companies should buy back shares with either gold or silver, maybe even platinum! That would be better than dividends. Give me the good stuff and keep the paper.
Back to top Go down
jeanvaljean

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:54 pm

I second that. Why not have them send bullion bars and rounds parcel post to us shareholders as dividends? Or even vouchers redeemable at Engelhard or Brinks.
Back to top Go down
bull
Admin
bull

Male Number of posts : 1300
Emploi : Investor

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 4:09 pm

jeanvaljean

Noranda is a Zinc smelter, paying 10.20%...monthly distibution.

NIF.UN.to
Back to top Go down
https://silverbullreport.forumotion.com
jeanvaljean

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2007 10:54 pm

Thanks. Hard to say what is safe income anymore.
Back to top Go down
studbkr

Number of posts : 902

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Might want to look at this one, which just popped-up on my reading list. (That's all I know. I don't own HL, but I own ILDS.PK, their "partner")

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071204/20071204006043.html?.v=1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock   Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need a High Dividend Paying Mining Stock
Page 1 of 1